Family Immigration Attorneys in Rockville
Located in Montgomery County - Helping Families from around the world Stay Together or Reunite
One of the original premises of U.S. Immigration Laws has been “family reunification.” The U.S. holds the idea of “family” in high regard and as a core national value. Since the inception of the Immigration and Nationality Act (“INA”), the U.S. immigration system has required most intending immigrants to have either close family ties to someone in the U.S. or employment-based skills that are needed by U.S. employers.
Contrary to some inaccurate claims about “chain migration” used to scare the general public, family-based immigration is only available to certain specific family members which include parent, spouse, sibling, and child relationships. Cousins, uncles, aunts, grandparents, and other extended family members are not eligible to immigrate to the U.S. under the family-based immigration system.
Understanding Immigration Preferences
For those relationships listed above, there are immediate relatives: (1) spouses of U.S. citizens; (2) unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) of U.S. citizens; and (3) parents of adult (21+ years) U.S. citizens; and then there are preference relationships, which are limited to close family members of U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents (“LPRs”):
- First Preference (F1): Unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens;
- Second Preference (A) (F2A): Spouses and minor children of LPRs;
- Second Preference (B) (F2B): Unmarried adult children of LPRs;
- Third (F3): Married adult children of U.S citizens; and
- Fourth (F4): Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.
While immediate relatives enjoy the ability to “immediately” apply for adjustment of status (“green card”) or an immigrant visa from abroad, those who hold preference relationships are subject to numerical visa limits per country per year and must look to the U.S. Department of State’s Visa Bulletin to determine when immigrant visas or applications for Adjustment of Status may be filed. Waits of up to 15+ years are not unheard of.
What To Expect in the Process?
The process of family-based immigration can be lengthy and confusing, so it is important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that all requirements are met with respect to establishing the family relationship, meeting income requirements, determining financial responsibility for the sponsored family member(s), and understanding security and criminal background checks, health related roadblocks, and other potential grounds of inadmissibility to the U.S.
Securing a Bright Future for Your Family
At Verma Cortes LLC, we understand that family is the most important thing in your life. We are dedicated to helping families from around the world stay together or reunite. Our team of experienced immigration attorneys in Rockville is here to guide you through the complex process and ensure a smooth and successful outcome for your case.
When you choose us to handle your family immigration needs, you can expect:
- Personalized attention: We take the time to understand your unique situation and tailor our services to meet your specific needs. Our attorneys will work closely with you, providing guidance and support every step of the way.
- Experienced legal advice: Our team of immigration attorneys has extensive knowledge and experience in family and marriage visas. We stay up-to-date with the latest immigration laws and regulations to provide you with the most accurate and effective legal advice.
- Efficient process: We understand that time is of the essence when it comes to family immigration. Our attorneys will work diligently to ensure that your case is processed as quickly as possible, while still paying attention to the details to avoid any delays or complications.
- Clear communication: We believe in open and transparent communication with our clients. Our attorneys will keep you informed about the progress of your case, answer any questions you may have, and address any concerns that arise along the way.
- Peace of mind: Navigating the family immigration process can be overwhelming and stressful. With Verma Cortes LLC on your side, you can have peace of mind knowing that your case is in capable hands. We will handle all the paperwork, filings, and legal complexities, allowing you to focus on what matters most - your family.
At Verma Cortes LLC, we put your needs first. Our Rockville immigration attorneys are ready to help you when it matters most. Let us explain your options.